Drawing from over thirty years of CFO experience, Steve uses a supportive team-management approach to financial leadership. He helps CFO’s go beyond their basic responsibilities of providing accurate and timely financial reports; he helps discern management’s unspoken needs and customizes information systems and internal reporting to ease management decisions. He combines his MBA and CPA background with a creative and fun approach to helping management teams pursue their organizational missions.
Areas of Expertise
- Accounting Information Systems
- Not-for-Profit Management
- Financial and Operational Analysis
- Family Business Transitions
- Managerial Accounting
- As CFO of a dual-family-owned publisher, Steve took the management team through their first multi-department budget planning process, leading them in subsequent years to face competitive pressures and to regenerate after the financial hit caused by a natural disaster.
- Crossing into an in-house consulting role for a creative convention planning nonprofit, Steve sensitively challenged management to adapt its mission from producing educational-training events to educator-inspiring events, tripling attendance.
- As non-family chief executive of a real-estate based family business, Steve managed all operations, led the company through succession and estate planning, sold off non-core businesses and investments, and mediated family differences on corporate direction.
- As financial advisor, Steve helped launch a grant-giving non-profit, leading the board through setting up internal controls, while modifying internal financial statements to creatively address management needs.
- As COO, Steve oversaw a publisher’s customer database and its order fulfillment operations, smoothly converting them from two in-house centers to an outside agency.
- Sacks, Inc. – Business Manager
- Breeze Business Services – Family and Trust Accounting
- Youth Specialties, Inc. – Senior VP Finance
- Christian Management Association – Director of Finance and Administration
- Ernst & Whinney, CPAs – Audit
- Emerald Cove Camp, Inc. – Operations and Event Planning